Nothing magical here. The engine came with a T56 6 speed attached, so I’ll use that for now. In the future, I’d like to install a race built dog box T5 from Gordon Levy Racing. I really don’t need 6 speeds for track use. And that would save about 50 Pounds – that’s a lot. Future upgrade as funding allows.
I replaced the throw out bearing with another GM part. Simple to do now. But I used a Wilwood master cylinder and remote bleeder kit. Again, easy to do now, and will make maintenance easier later. I also added an aftermarket shifter. Couple of good choices out there, go with your gut.
New clutch, of course. This time I decided to try Exody. We’ll see how that goes. I’v driven around the neighborhood a couple of times, and that went OK. I also used a light weight aluminum flywheel. Now, that’s not for everyone, especially in a light weight car. But on the track I really like it.
The transmission support brace supplied by Exocet did not fit very well. So I built my own out of 1″ heavy wall square tubing. Probably not very pretty, but should be should be plenty strong enough. It also gave me almost the perfect pinion angle. The Exocet brace left the pinion angle at about 8*.
I used metric fasteners in most places. But the trans mount uses standard fasteners, so I kept that theme going here. My brace allows room for the exhaust. It’s tight, but it does fit. See the exhaust section.