Sort of a pain, but not too bad.
Choice of headers is very limited. Both FM and V8R have shorty headers. V8R has some new long tube headers. For ultimate power, they would probably be best. They’re so new as I write this (Dec, 2015) that I have not seen any test results. I chose FM shorties for now. If I see real evidence that the long tubes are better, then I might install a set.
The headers bolt up fairly easily. It’s nice to have this much access. I wrapped them in header wrap and coated them with high temp paint. Keeping the heat in the tube improves scavenging, and makes more power. On final installation, I used the supplied gaskets; only because I had them lying around. On the Cobra, I don’t use header gaskets; I only use high temp silicone. Perfect seal every time, and never a failure.
Getting the left side to fit was a royal pain. They come dimpled for the steering shaft. But the dimple is in the wrong place. So you have to create another dimple for that. A few episodes of trial and error here. And the steering shaft is not very cooperative.
On the right side, the stock starter motor is too big, and it won’t fit. I had to use a smaller aftermarket part.
Muffler selection is tough. There’s not much room under there for big mufflers. For a street car, a big F-body style muffler would fit really well behind the differential. But that adds weight, complexity, and cost.
I have mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust on the Cobra, and I like them. Deep mellow sound, that’s not harsh or too loud. Lots of people comment on the great sound that car makes. Other mufflers are said to make more power. But they’re much bigger around.
I welded the mufflers to these two chunks of steel. Then mounted the whole assembly underneath the car.
Then welded some tubing to them to reach forward to the collectors.
I don’t have a tubing bender. Temporarily, I used some simple flexible 2 1/2″ tubing to make the final connection. Eventually, I’ll take it to a muffler shop to finish up. I’ll have them make the final connection, and put in some flanges for easy servicing. this will work for now.
Doesn’t sound too bad, either. I’d post a video clip, but I haven’t figured that out yet.